Friday, February 19, 2016

Week Two

New focus of Research Project: After discussing with my on-site advisor, I have altered my project to concentrate on investment plans as a whole and analyze their performances in the current volatile markets. (Stock and ETF portfolios, mutual funds, retirement funds, etc.) I will take into account risk tolerance to study investors' preference for the type of fund they'd like to allocate their money into.
With that said, I am currently conducting a poll consisting of 25-50 people in which I will measure each individual's risk tolerance. Additionally, I will create 5 investment portfolios that will characterize those preferences. (Conservative, Conservative Plus, Moderate, Moderate Plus, and Aggressive)
In the coming weeks, I will monitor the markets and analyze which investment plan is more profitable.

6 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Dylan! I think this is a really interesting topic, and you could do a lot with it! Since business isn't my particular field, and I do not know in depth the workings of an investment portfolio could you explain it more? Particularly, what it helps with, and why it is used? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sure! An investment portfolio is simply a basket of stocks, mutual funds, and/or ETF's. A stock is simply a small share of a company - it's a holding. For example, if I hold 100 shares of Apple, I am holding a very small share of the company itself. Numerous companies trade publicly on the NYSE, and investors buy and sell stocks in effort to make a profit. A mutual fund is a group of stocks. You can have a tech mutual fund, for example, which would have multiple technology stocks within it. ETF's, are very similar to mutual funds, except they fluctuate a bit more aggressively compared to a stable mutual fund. So, an investment fund is simply a portfolio of stocks, mutual funds, or ETF's. 401k's are also investment funds, since they are a retirement fund consisting of stocks (primarily mutual funds). They are usually there as a supplement to your finances, basically a way to make more money.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Dylan. What is all the buzz about "Motif Investing"?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, Dylan. What is all the buzz about "Motif Investing"?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, Dylan. What is all the buzz about "Motif Investing"?

    ReplyDelete